HSS8121 : Research Proposal Documentation

Uncategorized

Step1 : Background and motivation

In my opinion, I think the first step to write a research proposal is to explain the background and the motivation. By this I mean are there something relate to the research field in literature or some examples about this field.  For my research, I think the background will well explained by William Moritz’s words below, University of California, Berkeley’s experiment and Neil Harbisson’s example. Besides, the motivation is why you would like to do the research in a specific field. For me, I want to improve my project and do more deep researchs in colour – sound correspondence field.

The dream of creating a visual music comparable to auditory music found its fulfillment in animated abstract films by artists such as Oskar Fischinger, Len Lye and Norman McLaren; but long before them, many people built instruments, usually called “color organs,” that would display modulated colored light in some kind of fluid fashion comparable to music.

— William Moritz
Step2 : Research Questions
We always have to know what we want to research. To be honest, it is hard to figure out all the questions in a field, so we need to focus on predominant questions, the most important and influential ones. The three questions in my research are go forward one by one. First I need to know what’s the public’s opinion toward this field today and then, how to make a colour – sound correspondence artwork. Lastly, what’s the concept this kind of work can convey and what’s the social impact.
Step3 : Aim
A good research proposal needs a clear aim. For mine, the aim of the research is to investigate the uncertainties in the field of colour-sound correspondence and to create colour-sound artefacts in order to use this type of artworks to give audience a different experience.
Step4: Methodology
Media archaeology : In terms of this research, media archaeology is going to be a direction to guide me to find the forgotten designs which were related to colour- sound correspondence in the history and conclude a family resemblance of the colour-sound concept. By summarizing and sorting through these colour-sound correspondence artworks, I can indicate the merits and drawbacks in these cases and what causes the drawbacks, then start thinking how to solve these problems to improve this field.
Ethnographic : For this specific case, I will interview the audience in the several art galleries across the country, asking them what kind of format of artworks they are prefer and why. In addition, carry out an observation of present media correspondence artworks is required since the result can be used to analysis how media correspondence artefacts are made and what elements in the artworks appeal audience.
Step5: Outputs
Outputs are the outcomes of the research. Consider mine is a practice-based research so that the outputs include both physical part and theoretical part :
  • A analysis report of the preference between correspondence media artworks and conventional artworks
  • A better version of electronic colour organ – which can show the interval shade between two colours
  • A piece of colour – sound correspondence artwork – a device which can show abstract image by using 360 matching colours when user play with the sound, in order to give audience a different experience.
  • An analysis report about how the notion of colour-sound artwork can contribute to the field of advertising and media player (windows media player can only choose the colour randomly to match the sound currently).

PPT of the research proposal : https://www.dropbox.com/s/zdu79dep1t9g98x/Colour%20%E2%80%93%20Sound%20Correspondence%20in%20Design.pptx?dl=0

Another interesting project – A Hidden Order : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=080aWdyf1tc