HSS8123 – Launch Night

The launch went pretty well, I think. Despite some last-minute hiccups, everything was in place on time. Four booklets, deriving their contents from four different mediums (music, video, games and literature), fifty-two different poems (some of them shorter than others, admittedly, although the short ones were often the hardest thanks to the obscure restrictions imposed upon them).

Feels like quite an achievement, and having something gallery-worthy is a first as well. I’m satisfied that I managed to come up with something with visual and physical elements that made it worth displaying in a fine art gallery context, while still staying true to my own interests and creative practice.

Whether I handled the display aspects well is another matter – there are definitely a few things I would have done differently given hindsight & time. It’s possible that it wasn’t 100% clear that my exhibit was part of the show and ignored it, but it’s also possible that it simply wasn’t audiovisual enough for a fine art audience. I definitely overestimated people’s interest in coming over to check out the shelves and explore the details hidden there, but there is still a week to go, so it could well still find its audience.

If what I made was a puzzle (fine art will always be a puzzle to me, even/especially the stuff that I like), and I do think it has a lot of puzzle-like aspects to it, then not that people really tried to solve it. There were just too many pieces, and despite my best efforts most of them weren’t very eye-catching. But I think I’m fine with that – the body of work I managed to create for this project is very satisfying and useful to me, and as a first foray into exhibiting my art I think was a great experiment.

This entry was posted in CPP - Derivative Works. Bookmark the permalink.