I was watching some Max tutorials on youtube and I came across this neat little video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-RfRExdpR0
With my penchant for all beats broken I found this patch really, really good fun. What you’ve got here, with just jongly and this patch, is the foundation for a ‘live’ dance music machine, something I wanted to work on during this course. So I copied some breaks from my database and started experimenting. Loads of fun for any breakcore fan. But it needed developing. I felt like I was kind of ripping off Baz.
So I took the patch away and started making modifications. I rigged up another sampler with buffer and groove and loaded some fresh breaks at corresponding bpm. Basically, for dubstep/breaks I used sampled breaks at 140bpm/70bpm, and for drum and bass/breaks I used 160bpm/80bpm. What you’ve then got, if everything is synced up correct (more on that later) is two breaks running at the same tempo, one of which you can create delay lines with. In order to make the buffer break a bit more interesting I came up with a few controllable triggers that looped certain sections of the break using a simple equation:
File (break/sample) length / Number of beats = length of individual break segments.
So, using the set loop feature, I can control individual beats/phrases whilst creating delay lines. Put another buffer groove with some bass samples in it, another with some rhythmic sections, and put a volume slider on each channel. What you’ve got now is a primitive multi-sampler which can be used for live electronic beat noodling. Fun fun fun.
The patch is not without its flaws…sfplay tends to delay a bit when loading samples so you’ve got to cue up the delay feedback before you start bringing in other loops if you want the whole thing to sync up. What I found useful was coming up with a key controlled interface, syncing up certain actions with certain keys, linking new split objects into the patch. This has also helped me learn a bit of ASCII code, which can’t hurt.
The only problem now is that the patch is huge…a spider’s web monstrosity of objects and cables. I’m now going to start dismantling and rebuilding the patch, removing all non-necessary objects to get it to run a little bit smoother. I also want to devise some sort of BPM calculator so I can be a little bit more experimental and a little less confined to the 140/160bpm setup I’ve got going at the moment.
More to come soon