On Sunday, Adrian, Sanjay, Joe P and I travelled to just outside Rothbury to take a look at the “cup and ring” markings that could be found there.
Luckily, Adrian had both the info for the Sat-Nav and a map of the area, as finding the site resulted in heading down a very modest looking road track, upon which my poor car greatly suffered. Once we found the carpark, we were in a valley between two hills – only the map told us which side to head up. (Unfortunately the same cannot be said for Sanjay and Joe, who arrived briefly after us, and set off up the significantly steeper one!).
We headed to what we now know is called “main rock” where we found our first cup and ring markings. There was a sign informing us the rock was protected, but no other information was given. Joe profoundly said he felt “confused rather than satisfied” which I actually thought summed the experience up quite well. We knew what we’d been looking for, we knew we’d found them… but once we were actually there, we didn’t feel very, I dunno, rewarded? in any way. I suppose this was emphasised by the fact there wasn’t really anything to let us know that we HAD succeeded in finding them. For Adrian and I, this was one of the key moments in terms of the development of our idea.
The weather was very bleak. It was raining on and off and was bitterly cold with a wind that was cutting right through us. I’d gone from enjoying splashing around in my wellies, to wanting to die, in the space of about half an hour. In an attempt to power through, I cracked out my iPhone and started up my Geocaching app. I was in luck – we were less than 200 feet from a Geocache! With Adrian still slightly confused as to what was going on, I lead us (or rather, my phone’s GPS did) to an unsuspecting looking pile of rocks. Within the rocks was a tupperware box full of goodies and I think Adrian suddenly realised how exciting it all is. We left his Valberg ski pass in the cache. Being ubergeeks, we also did another 2 caches on the way home (Adrian is now fully addicted). This was also something that greatly contributed to our final idea.
Unfortunately, when I got home I discovered that my camera had kindly saved my photos in some stupid format so I couldn’t open them. I’ve managed to salvage a couple, but it’s a bit disappointing to have so few after the 50+ I managed to take whilst bearing that horrid weather!