My overall plan is to research various materials and from those acquire the ones with the most interesting potential. The following has been what I have covered so far . . .
- Prototype developed and tested previously
- Silver ordered, received and tested
- Design developed to include a leather outer for heat and comfort reasons
- Circuitry development, lily pad to be used as to printed, printed not being feasible for the time constraint.
- New fabric may prove beneficial
Along with other precious metals silver has special properties, on top of its electrical conductivity and use in photography silver also has various medical benefits, some of which are explained in this daily mail article: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1254235/Shining-secret-makes-silver-precious-health.html
Silver gloves and information regarding them
WarmX, a company that produce battery heated clothing
My glove design quite simply combines the silver glove with mobile heated textiles, such as warmx’s pieces, and connecting it with the user directly utilizing costume and waterproof arduino technology such as lily pad. The aim of the overall look will be effortless as a lot may be going on under the seams yet still with a stylish design and as much if not more comfort than any designer glove on the market.
To do / next
- Test new fabric
- Order lily pad
- Email for connectors and components, such as thermal sensor
- Work out battery power
- Connect all parts
- Ordered nitinol
- Tested nitinol with ‘radiator’ heat and hot water
- Tested in circles, issue, if a touching circle the nitinol would break through the fabric, solution, double the wire for a few cm.
This recording is quite clearly reasonably old however shows nitinol’s properties clearly
The following is Jacque Fresco talking about cars of the future and how the ideal material for a car to be made from so if there ever was a collision, any dents could be repaired with a hot air gun.
From research and testing nitinol itself I began seeing a series of ways where nitinol could be used in everyday clothes, fashion items and specific wear. The additional information
To do/ next
- Locate a manufacturer of varying ratios of nickel to titanium and obtain minimum of 2-3 meters
- Test large nitinol bands
- Contrive whether baking the nitinol to a circular to Pringle shape would be better or worse than the nitinol endeavouring to straighten when heated.
I am continuing to research further materials and develop ideas however they are at early stages, I will post about them once I have reasoned as to there use in my work.
The following is an idea chart I made to try and explain my ideas and their development. One of the important parts of this project is the time management, I am eager to have a strong collection and wish to ensure the pieces formations.
[click on image to enlarge]
This is a fantastic TED talk and shows the kind of idea that I am really fond of, something practice and just seems to make sense in several ways and with benefits to mankind that you wouldn’t think about, such as chemical pollution from various procedures.