I found using the coding language quite tricky and felt it took some time to get used to the form, order and language/syntax used.
The moving element of the image created interested me so I decided to develop my piece in that area. I thought the 3D element was really interesting but I wanted to keep my time constraints in mind and not over plan.
The first sort of piece I started with was to get a ‘bee’ flying around within the parameters of the screen and have some sort of backdrop, so I added trees, learning how to keep the trunk and the circle of the top in line.
When I got the brief ‘myths’ I looked at various ones and made a list of the myths that interested me the most, such as the greek myths and E.A. Poe and his writings, in particular his book Tales of Mystery and Imagination and within the stories themselves there are myths created, I remember in particular MS. Found in a Bottle, which is about seeing the world from the myths point of view, yet the myth dose not know it is a myth.
First I read a book about how the Greek gods came to be, and from reading this I saw the pattern created. The gods would multiply, giving birth, and would lessen in numbers, when the gods eat each other and also they would split, one god would cut another open to free the previous gods eaten. So I thought I could represent this in processing. I hoped I could program it so when the mouse was pressed a new circle would appear and start moving around, if it collided with another circle then there would be a chance that it would; bounce off, split one or both or merge into one circle.
However I found this tricky and didn’t manage to get a working piece. With time limitations I decided to look into what else I could do, working with the bee and tree model.
I used the code of the tree making multiple still objects to make multiple still other objects, stars, supermoon and planets. The supermoon that was Sat the 19th March 2011, last weekend, inspired me. I decided to look up a myth that I could weave into what I was working on. When reading Jorge Luis Borges, The Book of Imaginary Beings, 1967, I came across a chapter/story called “Animals in the Form of Spheres”. I found this to be a really interesting piece about spheres being living beings, both dead animals becoming spheres to ‘roll’ into their next life and planets as living beings.
“plato thought the world to be a living being and the Lawss(898) stated that the planets and stars were also living as well. In this way, he enriched fantastic zoology with vast spherical animals and cast aspersions on those slow-witted astronomers who failed to understand that the circular course of the heavinly bodies was voluntary.” Jorge Luis Borges, The Book of Imaginary Beings, 1967, pg 21.”Animals in the Form of Spheres”)
This seemed to be a fantastic myth and also very fitting, as what was bee is moving into the realm of the planets. So the processing piece becomes a sort of picture book with a moving element. I was hoping to have a interactive mouse element however I have been struggling learning how to do this; I managed to get a sphere/spirit attached to the mouse that can move however it dose not interact with anything within the screen apart from following the mouse.
With the myth being about planets and spirits I wanted them to have a slight glow feel to the aesthetic, so I added a stroke and stoke weight and I think the aesthetic works very well for the myth.
I looked at the following processing examples to try and work out how to use the code to become interactive.