Here the brief from Northern Stage:
then, i make a note about the thing i should consider about:
- i want to create an interactive installation
- presented on 18 or 19 may 2018
- target market / audience / visitor / people who will use this installation is adult 35-60 years old [mostly women].
- It should be very friendly user interactive installation.
- the main aim people come to Northern Stage to enjoy the show, not to visit the exhibition or artwork. what kind of installation that could get their attention?
- mostly women would be interested in something visually attractive, regarding the target market are an adult over 35, I think it should be something simple, pretty and enjoyable.
- imagine if I am a northern stage audience, have not much time to spent at the venue. would i try the takes time installation?
- it should be in a relationship with the show. what is the Frankie and Johnny movie? what is clair de lune? if i want to make something related with story, it means i need to watch a movie first.
- its written on the brief “On this occasion, we don’t want to showcase the grittier side of 1980s NYC”. what is the meaning of gritty?. Hmm.. New York City? what if i used a landmark of this city?
- it is the late-night show. can I do something with the light? which part of Foyer bar that fit for my idea?
- this is a group project, I think my idea should be something that easy to collaborate with other group members idea.and i always open to change this idea.
my first idea was to create a sculpture of piano [with new york skyline] that can play Clair de Lune when people crossing the walk and I want to use projector to show a video. first meeting in northern stage me, Katherine and Kyp were talking about which part of venue can we use. Kyp also gave an idea about collaborating with a Northern Stage to using their main speaker as part of the artwork.
me and katherine, decided to use the wall on the stairs for our project. the first meeting with northern stage i have shown them the preview of our installation and they gave us the further brief; safety is number one, the budget is low, Frankie and Johnny will be played in stage one, too much noise doesn’t allow, they suggest to change the projector with LED flood light because it would be cheaper and there is also a space under the stair.
Then in the studio, I discuss with Pete about this idea. He gave me much new insight into how to make it, suggest me about what kind of lamp I can use, we even talked about budgeting for buy the equipment.
Kyp and Jas decided to make a movie. while me and Katherine want to make an installation. at the next meeting with Northern Stage, Kyp was very helped us to communicate with NS staff about our project. Yaxi and Scarlett join our installation group. I love Yaxi’s idea to use a telephone as a trigger because it’s very related to the movie and clair de lune song.
I was going back to Indonesia during Easter holiday. I try to find some equipment which is cheaper in Jakarta. unfortunately, I bought a wrong an addressing strip LED light. then I bought another strip light from Adafruit store. i following the guideline book, but there was a power supply problem that caused the strip light doesn’t work.
then i asked Pete how to make it work. he explained me patiently and he also bring his adafruit. then i understand how to play a song from memory card through adafruit.
Yaxi has an idea to put a moon sculpture that will light graduallly when people move, here the preview
we measured the area for piano sculpture. the width is 4,60 cm it means we need 5metres strip light. we tried to find 1 strip light with 5 metres long but its unavailable everywhere. i discussed with Tim about this situation then i decided to buy 5 x 1 metres strip LED lights. after that, i struggled with solder to connected the strip LED and tested it with multimeter.
using a laser cut we try to make a piano skyline sculpture. Yaxi explained to me how the machine works, we went to the northern stage to fix the size of piano, then i setting all the piano part into A1 size to make it fit in laser cut machine.
we changed the idea several times, at first Yaxi want to make a sculpture of the moon, but it’s not allowed to hanging any material there, so we change the idea to make a video of Katherine dancing. we still think about using the telephone as a trigger but at that time, we have no budget for buy an old telephone. thanks to Tim has provided us with his own telephone.
here is the new plan:
a piano skyline – put the strip light in front of sculpture – 45 sec sound of clair de lune – play video with the processing – use a telephone as a trigger – put telephone on the desk [others equipment under the table] – when the audience pick up the telephone sound, light, and video will be play.
we still had problems. the sounds working but the light still not working following the sound. Tom helped me to make both of them work. we resolder the strip light, find out what was wrong with the code and explained to me about the power supply.
we still need a video, it’s not easy to make a video of the dance. Scarlett had an idea to make a video from the film’s conversation. then I changed the video format to work with Processing. still, we had problems. every time I tried to combine all the code into one was always failed. I asked Tim advice to solve this issue.
almost all the part had working. but, the trigger cannot work. on Friday 18th we had a plan to installing, i told the team I cannot come in the morning because I need to finish my other assignments. when i arrived the piano skyline has installed beautifully. then, we need to fix a technical stuff. again, Tim and Tom helped us to fix it.
here it is our project on Saturday: