Post Post-truth and on a new quest to find another truth.

Uncategorized

Since the hand in of our project on post-truth I have had the time to reflect on my recent findings. My slow work process which demands, revision after revision after revision, like a painter applying a paintbrush to a canvas carefully repeating the same movement over and over again, demands more preparation. Art is much more inclusive and diverse than any other discipline due to its use of so many different mediums, way of thinking and demand in research and introspection.

What is art?

What is art? I have been asking myself that question since I started this course. What is creativity? What is it I’m trying to make and create? What am I exploring? Who is this for? What is any of it for? Many questions remain unanswered hence the creation of this sort of project which aims to document my journey on understanding art, the way it affects me and other people.

I’m hoping that by using this blog and my other social media pages this documenting of my experiences, researches and findings will help me understand, develop and transform my art practice.

The best way I feel I can find my art style, is through experimentation and working with other people. I made the mistake on focusing too much on the idea without making anything for a while on the post-truth assignment and now more ideas are coming because I made the video, the song and the poems. Looking at other peoples work in the classroom during the presentation also gave me so much insight into what could’ve been done with my project and my presentation.

During the presentation of my work I mentioned that I didn’t feel it was the best work I had made but I still fill it is the most significant one. This was due to the process that went to create this piece. Reading articles on the truth, watching people talk about the post-truth era from different perspectives, the variety in which post-truth affected the world, from art to politics to sociology and academics astonished me. So many articles, reports and Ted talks was consumed I felt my brain was going to explode. “Digital Quest” (DQ) embodies that journey online looking for the truth on post-truth. I wanted to portray mass information and constructed narratives which are the main themes of post-truth. From reality to fiction the world fluctuates between the two in this post-truth era.

I never liked to call myself an artist because I thought it was pretentious and I’d say depending on the conversation “I’m a photographer. I’m a video editor. I’m a singer.” As if any of these sounded less pretentious. I really didn’t see myself as an artist but more as a philosopher (we now enter the mind of the egomaniac). I like to think, play with ideas, discuss those ideas with other people. I realise I did not see myself as an artist because I was not thinking like one. My photography skills were mainly used to make my subject look pretty or nice to look at and I used video editing to create narratives and musical clips.

Using artistic processes I want to create a more intimate but abstract narrative in my next work. I am currently in the process of making a set of artefacts as part of my module “Artwork and Audiences”.

The subjects explored are nature, civilisation, technology, power and control. Using various medium I want to expose the dichotomy between nature and technology. Civilisation constantly tries to control its environment but nature always takes back its rightful place eventually.  In “eco-system” I’m using organic plants and pieces of electronics and machinery to create a narrative. Where technology is used to protect nature and provide a safe environment for it grow and live with us in harmony. The grotesques pieces will provide a contrast view of what civilisation does instead.

Using the space at Hoults Yard I hope to create an interesting and interactive display for people to enjoy. On my next article I’ll show pictures and explain the process and thinking  for this piece in a bit more detail.

A